Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wayne Rooney intent on leaving United






Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney's concerns over the club's squad strength are behind his decision to dramatically seek an Old Trafford exit.
The 24-year-old, whose deal expires in the summer of 2012, revealed he had spoken to chief executive David Gill.
A statement from Rooney read: "He did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad."
The England star added that he was "surprised" by some of United boss Sir Alex Ferguson's comments.
On Tuesday Ferguson admitted he was "shocked" and "disappointed" to hear that the former Everton player intended to leave.
However in a strongly worded statement released only hours before United's Old Trafford Champions League clash against Bursaspor Rooney countered: "I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say [Tuesday] and surprised by some of it.
"I have never had anything but complete respect for the club. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?
"For me it's all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.
"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18."
Rooney has been linked with a number of clubs, including wealthy local rivals Manchester City, but he insisted that a concern over United's ability to attract the world's top players was at the heart of his decision to seek a move.
Source: BBC Sport
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment